Automation and Controls Technician (Technician II)
(Hazardous Locations Certification and Testing Group)
Vacancy # 2988
Job Location: Cleveland, Ohio
CSA Group has an immediate opportunity for an Automation and Controls Technician (Technician II in the Hazardous Locations Certification and Testing Group) in the Cleveland, Ohio area
Conducts actual test programs and prepares the associated documentation on electrical and gas products, gas detection instruments, and explosion proof product samples to determine their compliance to applicable requirements. The technician will also develop, modify, and troubleshoot lab automation hardware and software. Assumes responsibility for the completion of assigned projects within negotiated time and cost schedules. Generally works with moderate supervision reporting to a Hazloc Lead.
• Develop, modify, and troubleshoot laboratory automation control and data acquisition systems (hardware and software), serving as a primary resource for automation related subjects.
• Conduct a wide range of tests on sample equipment, to determine compliance with applicable standards in accordance with work orders issued by project holders. Conduct routine tests independently; act as an assistant in complex or unusual tests, under guidance from senior staff or project holder.
• Set up, install and operate a wide range of industrial electrical and electronic equipment to prepare it for testing or to prepare equipment to be used as laboratory control and data acquisition instrumentation.
• Troubleshoot and repair electric/electronic circuits to continue testing.
• Design and build test jigs and fixtures as required for product testing. Operate shop machinery such as table saw, hand saw, hand drill, drill press, metal bending and cutting machines, and some manual machining using lathe and milling machine as required
• Physically move and configure heavy test samples and test equipment. Assemble and disassemble test samples, configure and operate laboratory test equipment for testing.
• Examine sample equipment to determine acceptability and compliance with applicable requirements and discusses results with Certifier and client. Note and record substandard construction and performance of products which may appear before or during the tests and refer them to Certifier or manager for further investigation.
• Perform mathematical calculations required to summarize test results. Relate test results to product specification.
• Record technical data, develop and maintain detailed test reports.
• Maintain good housekeeping of tools, equipment and work area following tests and carry out assigned laboratory clean-up duties.
• Develop proposals for equipment purchase, maintenance and operation instructions.
• Assumes responsibility for the completion of assigned projects within negotiated time and cost schedules.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills:
• Diploma of Technology in Electrical / Electronics or an Associates degree in Engineering Technology or related technical field
• 1-3 years proven competency in a technical capacity with CSA or equivalent practical experience.
• Proven experience in the design, modification, and troubleshooting of industrial and laboratory automation and data acquisition system hardware and software
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to coordinate and communicate activities with other members of the certification team, with proven ability to work with minimum supervision
• Detail oriented and strong problem solving ability
• Knowledge of testing equipment, power and hand tools
• Mechanical and electrical aptitude
• Concentration required to work with electricity and conduct testing; uses sense of sight, touch, hearing and smell to assess results of testing; shock/energy/heat/mechanical hazards and exposure to toxic materials
• General (working) knowledge of chemistry, gases, and vapors is a plus
• Must be able to read and interpret engineering drawings and test data. Must have thorough knowledge of laboratory instrumentation, including operating principles and calibration procedures, as well as general laboratory procedures.
• Must be self-motivated and client-service oriented.
• Knowledge of Microsoft systems such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook.
Please submit your resume directly to the CSA Group career site, http://www.csagroup.org/careers/
CSA Group provides a dynamic working environment that is both challenging and stable. As a member of the CSA Group you will have the satisfaction of working in a technologically progressive organization that benefits society at large. We offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package.
CSA Group is committed to employee satisfaction throughout all divisions and offices. We offer professional growth through education divisions and training, and encourage career planning and advancement. We are also committed to a work/life balance, supporting employees through in-house health care, an Employment Assistance Program, and the Employee Mutual Benefit Association.