Permanent or Term (12-18 months with possibility of extension or becoming regular)
234 Wellington Street, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1A 0G9
Number of Positions:
September 24, 2017
Take a central role
The Bank of Canada has a vision to be “a leading central bank—dynamic, engaged and trusted—committed to a better Canada.” No other employer in the country offers you the unique opportunity to work at the very centre of Canada’s economy, in an organization with significant impact on the economic and financial well-being of all Canadians. You will be challenged, energized and motivated to excel in an environment where we are reinventing central banking, renewing ways of doing business and reinforcing a culture of innovation.
About the position
The purpose of this job posting is to establish a list of pre-qualified candidates for the position of Senior Data Analyst in one of the following divisions within the Data and Statistics Office (DSO): Data Management, Financial Institutions or Capital Markets.
DSO manages the information used to support analysis within the monetary policy and financial system functions. Staff liaise with data providers and users, evaluate data quality, generate multiple reports and statistical information packages, and disseminate data in a wide variety of formats, both internally and externally. DSO is the content owner for a variety of pages, packages and information available on the Bank of Canada’s external website and is responsible for creating the money and credit aggregates as well as the Bank’s commodity price index. DSO jointly supports an information governance framework with the monetary policy and financial system functions.
Under the general direction of the Manager, you ensure the ongoing availability of data and the maintenance of data systems. You coordinate the work of colleagues, provide guidance to more junior colleagues and support DSO managers, as required. Combining your judgment with experience and knowledge of both data-management techniques and guidelines, you resolve data problems that may never have arisen before. You solicit input from colleagues and use their expertise when determining the best solutions. You represent DSO on various committees and participate in projects where an understanding of and ability to effectively communicate the use of data are critical to success. The focus of the Senior Data Analyst position is to provide analytic and advanced technical data support through analyzing data needs and quality and producing data products, e.g., reports, tables and graphs.
Your future responsibilities
As a Senior Data Analyst, you lead the design of data standards and flows and modify them to support ongoing process and service improvements. You perform complicated data construction and programming requests to meet client needs and ensure that established standards are met. You also monitor work processes and client satisfaction, recommending changes for continuous improvement to the manager.
You resolve non-standard data problems (such as multi-variable problems), ensuring consistency in the flow and ongoing delivery of data; you also address non-standard data requests from various sources (internal clients, external parties) and provide an explanation for data choices.
You maintain collaborative relationships with internal clients, counterparts, external stakeholders and suppliers to ensure the reliable flow of information from all sources. Additionally, you lead, coordinate or participate in projects, ensuring that data-management requirements are accurately captured in project deliverables.
Finally, you participate in all aspects of user-acceptance testing for system upgrades or redesigns. You also train and provide guidance to colleagues on processes, products, methodology and concepts.
Your education and experience
• bachelor's degree in commerce, business, computer science, mathematics, statistics, economics, finance, information management, data management or a related discipline and
• a minimum of two years of relevant work experience (i.e., updating databases; compiling data; gathering, manipulating and verifying the accuracy and appropriateness of data; and leading the design and modification of standard data models)
• an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
Your knowledge and skills
As a Senior Data Analyst, you are experienced at using a suite of tools (Excel, FAME, DataStage, Cognos) to perform analysis on a wide range of data. You also have experience working with data-management practices and concepts.
You demonstrate your team-player and leadership skills by sharing expertise, providing constructive feedback, contributing to ideas and collaborating with others to achieve common goals.
As an effective communicator, you adapt information and ideas to the audience, conveying them with clear and compelling written and oral communication.
As a self-starter, you recommend and implement improvements, escalate issues, and volunteer to help. Your abilities as an innovative problem solver and change contributor allow you to make sound decisions when giving advice or making recommendations. You are capable of setting priorities, monitoring projects and initiatives, and ensuring follow-through.
You maintain a positive and mature attitude when faced with changes or adversity and help foster an environment that is adaptable to change. You also help and coach junior colleagues to find solutions to problems and are committed to ongoing learning and self-development.
• knowledge and understanding of capital market structures and instruments, organizational funding alternatives, corporate restructuring related to financing activities, mergers and acquisitions, and bankruptcy
• knowledge and understanding of financial markets and the International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) accounting principles
• knowledge of computing and automation
• experience in using Microsoft Excel to aggregate, transform and present data
What you can expect from us
This is a great opportunity to join a leading organization and be part of a high-performing team. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet your needs at every stage of your life and career.
• The salary range at hire for this position is typically from $55,727 to $65,015 (job grade 13), when you meet all qualifications and experience
• Performance pay for successfully meeting or exceeding expectations (3 to 5% or 7% of your salary, respectively)
• Flexible and comprehensive benefits so you can choose the level of health, dental, disability, life and/or accident insurance coverage that meets your needs
• Extra vacation days (up to five each year) that you can purchase to add to your vacation entitlement
• Option to join the indexed, defined-benefit pension plan after 24 consecutive months of service
As one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers, we offer you a superior work environment that allows you to reach your full potential both professionally and personally. We make career growth and professional development a priority. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes, and work environments that support a diverse workforce. If you require accommodation measures during any aspect of the recruitment process, we will work with you to address your needs. Information related to accommodation measures will be treated as confidential.
For more information on key benefits, please visit www.bankofcanada.ca/careers/working-here.
• Priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents
• Must be eligible for reliability status
• Linguistic requirement (minimum starting level): functional in second official language (training may be provided to help the selected candidate reach the required level of fully functional)
• There will be no relocation assistance provided
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.