Who we are
We are an organization comprised of industry thought leaders who are passionate about health data and want to make a difference in the health care field. We are an independent, not-for-profit organization and together with our partners we provide essential information on Canada's health systems, enabling decisions that lead to healthier Canadians. As a valued member of the CIHI team, you and your work will have a pivotal role in the evolution of Canada's health care systems.
CIHI is recognized as an exceptional place to work that embraces diversity, respect, integrity, collaboration and innovation. Learn about our Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Strategy and the work being done to create a more inclusive and welcoming organization by focusing on how we learn, govern and practise.
At CIHI, we recognize what matters to our employees. Some of the benefits of working at CIHI include
- HOOPP Pension Plan (Defined Benefits Pension)
- Retirement Planning Program
- Generous vacation days for permanent and long-term contracts
- Work-life balance
- Career Planning Program
- Learning and Professional Development Program
- Flexible benefits program from your first day on the job for permanent and long-term contracts
Why is this role important?
Reporting to the Manager, Enterprise Technology Services, the Cloud Administrator is responsible for the design, implementation, and management of data-related services and infrastructure in the AWS Cloud Infrastructure.
The Cloud Administrator is responsible for system benchmarking and optimization through pro-active monitoring and administrative technologies to identify potential issues before they impact the IT environment. The role advises and contributes to IT strategy, roadmap, process and project planning activities and identifies areas for improvement in operational processes and procedures and proposes innovative, cost-effective solutions within the technology services operations.
Within the scope of this position, security will play a pivotal role in all aspects from planning to implementation and throughout the operational life cycle of the information technology assets and will work closely with Information Security staff in order to ensure security is maintained at high levels for all CIHI information assets while maintaining reliability, accessibility, service and ease of use for end-users.
What you'll do
1. Support CIHI’s Information Security Management System (ISMS) through the implementation, management and monitoring of required Information Security controls, including but not limited to Risk Management, Audit and Assessment, Monitoring and Reporting.
2. Provision and manage AWS data-related services and infrastructure. Monitor and optimize AWS Services for performance and cost-efficiency.
3. Configure and manage Amazon big data clusters. Work with AWS technologies for data processing and analytics tasks.
4. Plan and Implement changes to CIHI Infrastructure and technology environments with ITSM processes (Release Management Process, Change Management, Incident Management/Service Desk, Problem Management etc.).
5. Execute configuration changes, patching/upgrading and day-to-day administration/ monitoring of applicable domain technologies.
6. Provide senior-level cross-training, support and knowledge transfer to ITS development/ maintenance teams and business areas.
7. Monitor the applicable domain technology platform performance and reports/responds to any degradation of service to ensure that user experience and expectations are being met. Identifies areas of improvement to admin teams and management.
8. Contribute technical expertise to CIHI’s teams. Provide support and expertise relating to best practices for coding, report generation, performance tuning etc.
9. Participate in the development, maintenance, testing, and implementation of backup and recovery procedures for CIHI’s environments.
10. Develops and documents policies and procedures for technical system processes. Maintains and documents related data profiles/engineering and architecture.
11. Leads and coordinates the resolution of technical issues in a time-sensitive/priority-sensitive manner.
What you'll bring to the table
• Computer Technology Diploma or bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field or equivalent education and experience.
• Minimum of 5 years in related progressive experience.
• Strong and solid technical expertise with the following within an enterprise environment (Installation, configuration, support, troubleshooting).
- Python and PySpark.
- EC2 instances, S3, EBS, EFS, Security Groups, IAM, AWS Airflow, AWS Redshift instances, AWS lambda functions
- Amazon EMR (Elastic MapReduce) clusters, Apache Spark, and Apache Hive
- AWS Lake Formation
- Identity and Access Management (IAM)
- Infrastructure as Code (IaC), AWS CloudFormation
- Monitoring and Alerting, CloudTrail and CloudWatch
• Excellent analytical, problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
• Works well under pressure and can prioritize competing priorities appropriately.
• Ability to work with minimal supervision and direction.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills – both written and oral. With the ability to communicate effectively with users, management, and technical staff.
• Ability to work in fast-paced multi-disciplinary teams.
• Ability to provide after-hours/weekend support and provide on-call on a rotational basis when required.
• An innovative, progressive, and creative thinker who increases knowledge through formal training and research to stay current on technology and trends.
• Fluency in both official languages is an asset.
To find out more about this role and other exciting opportunities visit our website at www.cihi.ca and check out our 'Careers' section.
We thank all those who apply, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
At CIHI we are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. Part of this commitment includes arranging accommodations to ensure an equitable opportunity to participate in the recruitment and selection process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Please note the CIHI Recruiting Team uses email to communicate with applicants. Please make sure your profile has an updated email address that is checked regularly, including the junk/spam mail folder, as we send time sensitive emails (i.e. testing and interview bookings).