Who we are
We are an organization comprised of industry thought leaders who are passionate about health data and want to make a difference in the health care field. We are an independent, not-for-profit organization and together with our partners we provide essential information on Canada's health systems, enabling decisions that lead to healthier Canadians. As a valued member of the CIHI team, you and your work will have a pivotal role in the evolution of Canada's health care systems.
CIHI is recognized as an exceptional place to work that embraces diversity, respect, integrity, collaboration and innovation. Learn about our Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Strategy and the work being done to create a more inclusive and welcoming organization by focusing on how we learn, govern and practise.
At CIHI, we recognize what matters to our employees. Some of the benefits of working at CIHI include
HOOPP Pension Plan (Defined Benefits Pension)
Retirement Planning Program
Generous vacation days for permanent and long-term contracts
Career Planning Program
Learning and Professional Development Program
Flexible benefits program from your first day on the job for permanent and long-term contracts
Why is this role important?
The Data Architect drives the evolution of CIHI data architectures, models, and standards in addition to delivering modern data solutions including data ingestion/data pipeline design and implementation, new generation data warehouse & data lake architectures, and cognitive computing. The Data Architect is responsible for providing thoughtful-leadership, solution advocacy, and assurance and maintenance of the company’s Data Architecture.
The Data Architect will foster an environment that allows for innovation through continuous improvement in data design and promote overall effectiveness by developing solutions that provide world-class scalability and performance.
What you'll do
1. Modernizes the data architecture by taking into consideration business needs and priorities, technical capabilities, project specifics, and modern data methods and technologies. Assess the "As-Is" data architecture for existing services to determine "To-Be" architecture.
2. Leads, defines, and implements end-to-end modern data platforms in support of data ingestion, processing, and analytics while incorporating data privacy and information security standards and practices.
3. Supports the development of corporate metadata and data governance.
4. Evolves the corporate Enterprise Data Model, which includes definitions, enterprise-wide conceptual and logical model as well as application specific models.
5. Provides data architecture and required architectural artifacts such as conceptual architecture, logical architecture, physical architecture for key initiatives/projects.
6. Ensures consistent application of enterprise-wide data structures and data definitions to initiatives/projects.
7. Designs high quality data solutions based on sound technical principles that can be effectively delivered by the software development and DBA teams.
8. Leads the development of enterprise principles and standards related to data design, development, and integration, contribute to the development of enterprise data requirements while ensuring integration into overall Enterprise Architecture Program.
9. Ensures that interoperability capability, performance and scalability, reliability and availability, data consistency, and technological risks are all addressed in the data architecture.
10. Identifies technical risks and works with the project team to develop mitigation plans.
11. Develops data architectural standards, design patterns and schemas, and conduct architecture gating reviews to ensure their implementation.
12. Exercises independent judgment to determine solutions relying on guidelines and past precedents with a clear understanding of organizational and systems impact.
13. Establishes working relationships with senior leaders, management, and vendors to collaborate on data aspects of information technology. Shape and change the thinking of business leaders on the data aspects of IT direction.
What you'll bring to the table
• Bachelor’s Degree or higher in quantitative areas such as Computer Science, Information Management, Big Data & Analytics, or a related field is desired. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
• Minimum five (5) years’ experience as a Data Architect or similar experience. Experience as an Enterprise Data Architect working on organization-wide systems integration and transformation initiatives.
• Advanced understanding of Data architecture concepts, patterns and standards.
• Demonstrated project delivery experience leading large scale data architecture and data migration projects.
• Strong Data Modeling, Data Lake, and Data Warehouse experience and skills.
• Experience with business vision, strategy, and roadmaps and governance methods and practices.
• SQL experience with Oracle, or with Open-Source SQL (PostgreSQL, MySQL).
• Experience with Cloud Big Data & Analytics Services on the cloud (AWS preferred i.e. S3, Redshift, Athena, EMR, Glue).
• Experience with data management and consolidation to the Data Lake in the cloud.
• Strong verbal, written, and presentation skills and the ability to apply these skills in a collaborative way across diverse teams of stakeholders.
• Ability to conceptualize complex ideas into the key artifacts required to develop data architectures that are consistent with organizational enterprise architectural standards and technology strategy.
• Ability to think from various point-of-view (including end-user, architecture, development, infrastructure) in terms of access to data, application usability, performance and configuration.
To find out more about this role and other exciting opportunities visit our website at www.cihi.ca and check out our 'Careers' section.
We thank all those who apply, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
At CIHI we are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. Part of this commitment includes arranging accommodations to ensure an equitable opportunity to participate in the recruitment and selection process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Please note the CIHI Recruiting Team uses email to communicate with applicants. Please make sure your profile has an updated email address that is checked regularly, including the junk/spam mail folder, as we send time sensitive emails (i.e. testing and interview bookings).